I love having a refreshing smoothie as either a meal replacement or quick snack. For me, this smoothie is such a good mix of healthy, sweet and satisfying. This is a great healthy snack for kids. I call it the Carri-be-green Smoothie since it has Caribbean flavors but lots of greens.
It has the option to add satiating fats or not, and this will depend if you are making it for a snack, meal, adult, or kid. However, if you do add the coconut milk, it has some great nutritional benefits. It contains healthy saturated fats that won’t raise cholesterol. These fats, medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), aid in fat metabolism and energy. These fats also help control your blood sugar, and it also provide electrolytes like potassium and magnesium and promotes gut health. The coconut milk is especially great for kids since they need healthy fats to grow and fuel their brain. Our brains have a large portion made from saturated fats, and we want those coming from the right sources instead of junk food.
Collagen is an easily digestible protein that helps with bone, skin, hair, and dental health. It is the most abundant protein in our body, and many of us are deficient in it. The collagen as well as the MCTs in the coconut milk reduce joint inflammation for athletes and those suffering with arthritis. Adding collagen to a smoothie is an easy way to boost our stores and strengthen our bodies. Plus, protein builds muscle, which burns fat! This is also a great way to get some protein into a picky eater who may not be as fond of meat or eggs.
- 1 cup coconut milk or water
- 2 pitted dates (optional)
- 1 frozen or fresh banana
- 3-4 cups greens (spinach or kale – I prefer spinach, start with 3 cups for kids)
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1/2 cup mango
- 2 TBSP grass-fed collagen protein
- Add the coconut milk or water and dates.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes to completely break up the dates.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Blend all ingredients in blender.
- If some of the greens get stuck on the side of the blender, stop and scrape the sides of the blender down. Finish blending until all the greens are incorporated.