This healthy, delicious banana chia pudding will satisfy anyone’s treat cravings, while adding some powerhouse foods to the diet. Bananas are a great way to fuel your child with healthy carbohydrates and potassium. They also have a great texture for a pudding and to mix healthy fats into. Chia seeds contain calcium, magnesium, potassium, fiber, Omega 3s, antioxidants, and protein. Also, they are great for bone health and digestion. Then, the coconut oil or butter and coconut milk provide healthy fats to fuel their brain for the day. This is a well rounded snack with healthy carbs, protein, and fat It is a great afternoon snack or night time treat, especially instead of ice cream. Plus, it is definitely cheaper than taking them to the ice cream store!
Banana Chia Pudding
- 1/2 cup banana (I use 1 banana to keep it simple)
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2-3 dates (pitted)
- 2 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 TBSP coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp lime juice (to prevent browning)
1. Soak dates in warm water for approximately 5 minutes to soften.
2. Melt the butter or coconut oil in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
3. In the food processor, add the coconut oil/butter, coconut milk, and dates. Blend until the dates are completely broken up. This could take 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the banana, vanilla, cinnamon, and lime juice to the food processor. Mix until combined. This should take about 30 seconds.
5. Remove the blade, and add the chia seeds. Mix in the chia seeds with a spoon.
6. Pour into a bowl, and cover with saran wrap. Set overnight in the refrigerator. This will allow the chia seeds to “gel” and create the pudding texture.