Carrot Cake with Creamy Frosting
One great thing about using a carrot cake recipe is that the cake will be similar to many of the foods they have already eaten in purees or chunks. Also, the carrots help provide structure to a cake without gluten and does not need as much sweetness. This cake is make with all natural, organic ingredients that make first birthday smash cake healthy, nutritious, and delicious.
- 3 mini Springform cake pans
- 4 carrots (roughly chopped)
- 2 TBSP grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- frosting spatula
- 1/4 cup grass fed butter (or ghee or you could double the coconut oil to make it all the way dairy free)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2-3 pitted dates or
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 Tablespoons cashew butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 350◦F.
2. Blend ingredients of the cake in the blender until the dates and carrots are completely broken up.
3. Grease round cake pans using coconut oil or grass-fed butter. Pour the batter evenly among the 3 pans. My pans were 4 inches wide and 2 inches deep. Make sure to level the tops using a spatula.
4. Bake for 40 minutes. The tops should have gained a golden brown color.
5. Remove from the oven. Release the cakes from the springform pan, and set on a rack to cool.
6. For the icing, slightly melt the coconut oil and butter.
7. Put the dates, butter, and coconut oil in the blender. Blend for 1-2 minutes until the dates are completely broken up.
8. Put other icing ingredients in a blender, and blend all together. Mix and store in the refrigerator until about 30 minutes before the cake will be iced.
9. When the cakes are cool, you need to level the top of each cake.
Tip: If you do not have a cake leveler, try kneeling down on the floor so you are eye level with the cake and using a serrated knife, cut off the excess cake to level it. Start with the least amount to cut off that you can in case you need to continue to level it out.
12. Place some icing on the plate that the cake with go on so that it acts as glue for the cake. It should be very easy to spread. If not, let it come to room temperature for a little longer.
13. Ice the top of bottom layer thinly. Set second layer on top. Ice it thinly. Do the same with the third layer.
14.Proceed in icing down the sides of the cake until it is covered.
15. Smooth the icing and decorate.