2 Hours of Cooking for 5 Weeknight Meals
Are you a parent that doesn’t have time to cook? Or doesn’t want to cook?
I’ve talked with many parents, and they have several struggles when it comes to feeding their family. Two main struggles are finding the time to cook healthy meals and cooking food their kids will actually eat.
Well, here is my solution, batch cooking and meal prepping for the week! You may have heard those terms before, but without having done it before, it may seem intimidating. However, here is a plan to get dinner on the table every night of the week that feeds your family nutritious food, save money, and saves you time that you can spend with your family
So, to prepare, find time on the weekend to buy your groceries and find a few hours to cook. I make sure all my proteins are organic and pastured, and I can find these cheaper at my local farmer’s market. I know weekends are busy, but this could even be a fun night time activity with you and your spouse and a glass of wine.
Let’s look at the weekly menu and then the shopping list. This will be enough for a family of 4. These meals are simple recipes that do not require fancy ingredients, lots of preparation, and these staples are options that kids love! I have tried so many Pinterest perfect recipes with my picky step-daughter, and I always go back to recipes like this because they remain her favorites. Every meal offers variety, and there is even one on the go option for those nights where you have to run to an event for your kids.
Monday: BBQ pork chops, mashed sweet potato, carrots
Taco Tuesday: Ground Chicken Tacos with paleo wraps, cauliflower
Wednesday: Egg omelette with a banana chocolate smoothie
Thursday: Tuna salad, grain-free crackers, carrots, strawberries
Friday: Beef Burgers, Sweet Potato Fries, Broccoli
- 5 lb bag of sweet potatoes
- 2 lb pasture-raised ground chicken
- 2 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 bags of carrots
- 1 bag of favorite paleo approved tortilla wraps
- 4 5.5 oz cans of sustainable tuna in water
- Avocado oil mayo
- Sea Salt
- Natural relish
- Sugar free BBQ sauce
- 1 dozen pasture-raised eggs
- 1 bunch of bananas
- Cocoa powder
- Almond butter
- Coconut milk
- Grain free crackers
- Natural taco seasoning
Here are the steps to get everything prepped for the week. Then, during the week, you can reheat or put everything together. During the week, you will need to cook and blend your smoothies on your breakfast for dinner night, and you will need to put your meal on the go containers together if there won’t be room in your fridge for those at the beginning of the week.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Fill a pot with water, place on the stove, and heat on high until boiling.
- Peel and chop your sweet potatoes. Cut 4-5 sweet potatoes into cubes, and 4-5 into long sticks.
- Cover the sweet potato sticks with a little oil, and bake it for 30 minutes.
- Place the cubed sweet potato into the boiling water, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Place pork chops on a baking sheet. Cover in BBQ sauce, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Heat two more pans on the stove on medium heat, and add coconut oil or ghee to the pans.
- Form 4-6 burgers with the ground beef and sea salt. Cook in one pan on each side for 5-7 minutes.
- In the other pan, brown the ground chicken, and add taco seasoning.
- Pull the meat and sweet potatoes off the heat.
- Boil the broccoli, and drain.
- Boil the carrots, and drain.
- Boil the cauliflower, and drain.
- For the cubed sweet potato, dump it into a blender and mix with 1 cup coconut milk and 2 tsp cinnamon.
- For the tuna salad, mix 4 cans of tuna, 1 cup avocado mayo, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, and 2 TBSP natural relish in a bowl.
- Store your meats, vegetables, and starches in containers in the fridge. Then, pull each component out for the right night of the week.
- Peel the bananas, place on a parchment lined baking sheet, and freeze. Once frozen, store in a plastic bag in the freezer.When you make the smoothies, here is the recipe:
Chocolate Banana Smoothie
1 frozen banana
1 tsp almond butter
1 cup coconut milk
1 TBSP cocoa powder
- Clean up the kitchen.
So, within a short amount of time, you were able to prepare healthy, delicious meals that will save you time of cooking and cleaning throughout the week. Enjoy!
Want natural, organic, nutrient dense baby and toddler food: www.mama-bear-naturals.com